13 October 2008

Maid versus childcare centre

Since young, I have heard too many bad encounters of hiring a maid. Some risks you will face:

1. Child abuse
2. Theft
3. Unwanted pregnancies
4. Bringing her boyfriend to your place when you are not at home
5. Injuries / illness / hospitalization

Employers would not be able to control many of these situations because usually they are left alone at home to look after children, without the supervision of anybody. Boy suggested getting a maid, and to install cameras at home to watch the activities carried out at home, so that the maid will not do anything funny knowing she is being watched even though nobody is at home. I seriously think that this will not solve the problem and I just cannot put my mind at ease to put my child in a maid’s care. What if the maid abuse Dylan outside the view of the cameras, like in the toilet? Even with the installation of the cameras, there will still be areas that cannot be captured; the cameras can only let us see the daily happenings in the house, it cannot totally eliminate the chances of the maid doing funny things. It's not easy to build up your trust on a maid in a day's time.

With comparison of the costs, the childcare centre is definitely still a lot cheaper than getting a maid. With a maid, it means you got one more mouth to feed, other than the salary you need to give; there are so many other hidden costs like daily necessities, travel costs and etc. In addition, you need to calculate the maid levy, $5,000 security deposit, medical expenses (including hospitalization), and insurance.

Although time is restricted when you have to put your child in a childcare centre, I believe with good time management or coordination, this can be solved. With my mother-in-law’s help, we shouldn’t have too much worries about unable to fetch Dylan in time before the childcare centre closes for the day, and that’s if I have to do overtime at work and unable to knock off in time.

Some weird thoughts:
If let’s say I got a maid, and she abuses Dylan, I may end up killing her, and I get charged for maid abuse or murder. I think this is a risk to me. LOL.

No comments: