10 January 2009

Dental

Went for my dental appointment at the National Dental Centre on thursday. It all began from my regular dental checkup at October last year, because I experienced pain at my wisdom teeth area, my family dentist advised me to get a referral letter from the dental at any polyclinic, to go to the hospital to take a x-ray to see whether I need to do surgery, this is the cheapest way to do wisdom teeth removal.

Wisdom teeth also called the third molars are the last of the molars to erupt between the ages of 18 and 24 years. Thay may erupt normally into the correct alignment and function or conversely impacted.

Impacted wisdom teeth occur when they are prevented from complete eruption due to lack of space, obstruction or development in an abnormal position. They are often indicated for removal because of pericoronitis (ie. an infection of the gum overlying the partially erupted tooth, tooth decay and an increased risk of tooth decay and gum disease leading to bone loss in adjacent teeth. Less commonly, it is removed to prevent possible cyst formation and orthodontic problems in later life.

Impacted wisdom teeth surgeruy involves making an incision through the gum, removal of bone and/or sectioning of the tooth into smaller fragments to facilitate its removal. After the operation, it is common to experience pain, facial swelling, limition in mouth opening, bruising and mild bleeding from the operation wound for 3 to 5 days.

The x-ray results indeed shown that 3 of my wisdom teeth are giving me problems. I will have to do 2 extractions on both my upper teeth, and one surgery on my lower left. And after a conversation with sokmee, she was shocked to hear that I am removing all 3 at one go.

Me: is it pain?
Sokmee: of course pain la! You removing all 3 wisdom teeth next thursday?
Me: ya lor, once and for all ma
Sokmee: WAH, den how you eat?! Better not la!
Me: cannot eat then don't eat la, can diet as well
Sokmee: siao ah?! you want die ah!
Me: won't die one la
Sokmee: dentist will give antibiotics and mouth rinse other than painkillers
Me: mouth rinse same as listerine ah?
Sokmee: not the same la, give mouth rinse because cannot brush teeth for 3 days
Me: WAH, I didn't know cannot brush teeth ley (was thinking siao liao, will have bad breath for 3 days)

No comments: