04 August 2007

Thyroid scan at NUH

Baby Dylan was at NUH for his thyroid scan. As warned by the nurse, he had to stop feeding at 4 am till his scan at 9.30 am, because he had to be put on sedation, he will vomit if he is sedated with a full stomach. But because I overslept, his last feed in the morning was at 5.30 am. I couldn’t bear to let him go hungry till he finishes his scan. While at the hospital, baby Dylan refused to take the oral sedation medicine. He refused to swallow and spit out at least half of what he is supposed to take. So in the end, the sedation didn’t work, he didn’t really sleep peacefully, just half asleep only I guess, whining away as he go through the scan. He is hungry I supposed, we gave him a pacifier and he started sucking away and spit it out awhile later when he realise there is no milk? The nurse had to hold on to his head to stop him from moving under the scanning machine. Start feeding him at about 12 pm, and he was discharged at 1 pm. Doctor came and told me that from the scan, he can see that baby Dylan’s thyroid gland is too small, that explains his hypothyroidism. The dose of his thyroxine medication he is taking right now is increased from half a tablet to one and half. He is to return for another checkup 2 weeks later on 15 August.

See baby Dylan's left hand is wrapped like a dumpling, there is a needle poking him, to get ready to insert some dye into his blood to scan his thyroid. Now both his hand is blue black with all the needles and blood taking.

2 comments:

Joselyn/JiaYi said...

It heartbreaks to see my little nephew to suffer so much...
I'm close to tears...
I'm really very worry about his conditions..
Please do update me constantly...

Dear God,
Please bless my nephew, Dylan from all the needles and health...

Auntie Joselyn

zcatz said...

Baby Dylan, see you got so many people who worry for you, so you must get well soon no matter what!